6.05.2009

what'd you say?


So funny this postcard was on Post Secret this week. For those who don’t know or haven’t heard about my ear trauma, let me fill you in.

About a month ago I woke up with a plugged ear. Being the lazy fella I am, I waited it out a week until I woke up one morning and couldn’t feel the right side of my face and I was in some crazy pain. I go to the doctor, they flush my ear and a large amount of wax came out. Yes, I do use q-tips, but this was so far down nothing could get this mess out. While flushing my ears they threw off my equilibrium, which almost made me fall off the bench and throw up all over the nurse.

A week later I went in for a checkup. I told them my ear was still plugged and a little sore. They look in there and say ‘You need to see an ENT asap.’ Lovely. So they rush me into an ENT doctor before he had surgery. He asked me to lay on a bed and turn my head to the side, I heard an air compressor machine turn on, and then a vacuum in my ear. It felt parts of my brain coming out. I asked if they extracted my unborn twin with tiny teeth and hair, they said no. What did come from my ear was a bloody/mucus ball the size of a pea. Lord knows what was happening in my ear.

10 days after that I go in for another checkup and a hearing test. The hearing scale goes a little something like this – the lower the number the better and young adults are around a 20. My left ear is 10 (go me!) and my right is 35/45. So basically I have the hearing of an 80 year-old. I went upstairs to the doctor and he put a gel patch ‘band-aid’ in my ear. I go for another checkup in three weeks.

Don’t worry, I’ll make this story come full circle. What’s funny to think is, when I was in junior high I thought it would be amazing to be deaf. A kid in school had a hearing aid, which I thought was neat looking, and I thought sign languages was beautiful. Cross your fingers that my hearing loss isn’t permanent.

3 comments:

Katie said...

You always have the strangest reasons to go to the doctor. Hope you're feeling 10-20 soon!

Danelle The PR Girl... said...

fingers and ears are crossed!

Nancy said...

I hope your hearing comes back soon!